No. 6 Minnesota (13-2 overall, 2-2 Big Ten) vs. No. 7 Wisconsin (11-2, 2-2)
- When where: 7 p.m. Wednesday, UW Field House (sold out).
- TV: Big Ten Network.
- Radio: 100.9 FM.
- Series: Minnesota leads 48-30; UW leads 20-17 in Madison.
Coach: Hugh McCutcheon, Minnesota record 147-39 (6th year).
Players to watch
- Samantha Seliger-Swenson, S, 5-11, Jr. (12.22 aps; 2.41 dps; 17 aces)
- Stephanie Samedy, OPP, 6-2, Fr. (4.27 kps/.323; 2.86 dps)
- Alexis Hart, OH, 6-0, Soph. (3.29 kps/.266)
- Molly Lohman, MB, 6-3, Sr. (1.86 kps/.393; 1.41 bps)
- Regan Pittman, MB, 6-5, RS Fr. (2.27 kps/.366; 1.15 bps)
- Dalianliz Rosado, L, 5-9, Sr. (4.53 dps)
The skinny: The Gophers won their first 12 matches and were ranked No. 1 nationally before being swept by Michigan State and Nebraska in consecutive matches … No. 4 in NCAA’s first RPI of the season … Stephanie Samedy, who was No. 5 Senior Ace last year, ranks 2nd in the Big Ten in kills per set … Samantha Seliger-Swenson leads Big Ten and is 3rd nationally in assists per set … Minnesota ranks 5th in Big Ten in hitting percentage (.293), 5th in opponent’s hitting percentage (.173), first in digs (16.24) and 4th in blocks (2.72).
Kelly Sheffield says: (On Seliger-Swenson) “She’s established a really good connection with her hitters, she runs her system really well and has a lot of range. She’s really good.”
Coach: Kelly Sheffield, UW record 124-27 (5th year); career 397-139 (17th year).
Players to watch
- Dana Rettke, MB, 6-8, Fr. (3.25 kps/.442; 1.55 bps)
- Tionna Williams, MB, 6-2, Jr. (2.41 kps/.427; 1.35 bps)
- Lauryn Gillis, OH, 6-1, Sr. (2.74 kps/.258)
- Kelli Bates, OH, 5-11, Sr. (3.25 kps/.296; 2.43 dps)
- Sydney Hilley, S, 6-0, Fr. (11.68 aps; 2.02 dps)
- Tiffany Clark, L, 5-11, So. (3.32 dps)
The skinny: The Badgers split their first four Big Ten matches, with victories over Michigan and Iowa and 5-set losses to Michigan State and Nebraska … Dana Rettke won her fourth Big Ten Freshman of the Week award as she averaged 2.9 kills and 1.3 blocks per set with a .396 hitting percentage … Freshman Grace Loberg could get some playing time on the right side in place of Madison Duello … Rettke ranks 3rd in Big Ten in hitting percentage and blocks and 7th in aces … Sydney Hilley is 2nd in Big Ten and 8th nationally in assists … The Badgers are 3rd in conference in hitting percentage (.314), 1st in opponent’s hitting percentage (.128), 3rd in assists (13.30) and 2nd in blocks (3.02).
Sheffield says: (On challenging opening schedule in Big Ten) “You look at our schedule and man, it’s just crazy. It’s tough and challenging and we’re in the middle of this. In our first 11 matches we play seven against teams that preseason were ranked above us. And we’re the 7th ranked team in the country. That is insane to have that many matches against that quality of opponents.”