The Knapp House, constructed in 1855 at 130 E. Gilman St., was home to Madison’s elite and to 17 Wisconsin governors beginning in the 1880s before the executive residence was established in Maple Bluff in 1949. After a nearly one-year, $2 million restoration project, the Knapp House, which overlooks Lake Mendota in Madison’s Mansion Hill neighborhood, is now an 8-room hotel and café. The house was purchased in 2017 by Bob Klebba and David Waugh, owners of the Mendota Lake House B& B, 704 E. Gorham St.. The 4,832-square-foot building, constructed of sandstone quarried in the town of Westport, was purchased by UW-Madison in 1950 and was most recently used for graduate student housing as the Knapp Graduate Center.
Photos: Governors Mansion Inn