Firefighters rescued an occupant from a smoke-filled apartment on the East Side on Wednesday morning, the Madison Fire Department said.
Firefighters responded at 4:40 a.m. to an apartment building in the 700 block of Rethke Avenue, where an alarm was sounding, Fire Department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster said.
A security officer told fire crews he found heavy smoke in one apartment, crawled inside to find the occupant, who was unresponsive, and pulled the person into the hallway, Schuster said.
A firefighter brought the occupant downstairs to be treated by paramedics, and the occupant then was taken to a local hospital, Schuster said.
Firefighters found a fire and burned food on the stove, with the blaze extending into the overhead cabinets. They extinguished the fire and did another search of the apartment, finding no one else inside, Schuster said.
Photos of the year: A look back at the Wisconsin State Journal’s top photos of 2020