Try 1 month for 99¢

Guests and staff evacuated a restaurant on Madison's West Side Thursday night after a fire started on the kitchen's stove top, the Madison Fire Department said.

The fire at the Denny's, 433 South Gammon Road, started around 6 p.m., Fire Department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster said in a statement, and the firefighters arrived to see black smoke coming from the rooftop exhaust.

An assistant manager told firefighters on the scene that he used an extinguisher to try to put out the fire, Schuster said, but some flames still burned when the firefighters entered the kitchen. 

They used additional extinguishers to fully put out the fire, Schuster said.

The fire and damage was contained to the kitchen, Schuster said, and no one was injured.


Shelley K. Mesch is a general assignment reporter for the Wisconsin State Journal. She earned a degree in journalism from DePaul University.