Madison's graduating seniors will be on prime-time this weekend as a pandemic-scrambled school year comes to a close.
Virtual graduation ceremonies for the Madison School District's Class of 2020 air on WISC-TV (Ch. 3) Friday and Saturday evening, celebrating and honoring hundreds of graduates in an unexpected fashion.
East and La Follette high schools will each have one-hour ceremonies aired Friday evening.
On Saturday evening, Memorial and West high school will also have one-hour blocks to celebrate their seniors, which will be preceded by a half-hour ceremony for graduates of Capital High and Shabazz City High School.
Despite seniors not being gathered together inside the Kohl Center — the traditional graduation venue for Madison students — graduates watching from home will see several ceremony standards, including keynote speakers, the reading of names and a call to turn the tassel on the mortarboard. But they'll also include elements unique for each school.
The schedule is:
- East High School from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, which will include a picture montage of students and remarks from Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes
- La Follette High School from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, which will have a series of speeches from senior class members.
- Capital and Shabazz high schools from 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday with farewell messages to students.
- Memorial High School from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and to feature a concert choir performance and several student speakers.
- West High School from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday with a processional video and jazz combo interlude.
The ceremonies will be broadcast on WISC-TV and also streamed concurrently on channel3000.com. All the ceremonies will be re-broadcast during a four-and-a-half-hour block on Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Cambridge High School
Deerfield High School
DeForest High School
McFarland High School
Madison East High School
Madison East Purgolder Parade on the Yahara River
Madison LaFollette High School
Madison Memorial High School
Madison Shabazz High School
Madison West High School
Madison West graduation parade
Monona Grove High School
Stoughton High School
Sun Prairie High School
Waunakee High School
Concerned about COVID-19?
Sign up now to get the most recent coronavirus headlines and other important local and national news sent to your email inbox daily.