Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Monroe School District to go online starting Oct. 19 due to rising COVID-19 cases
alert

Monroe School District to go online starting Oct. 19 due to rising COVID-19 cases

generic stock photo student laptop virtual school (copy)

The Monroe School District announced Thursday that all schools within the district will go to online-only learning starting Monday and running through at least Oct. 29.

The district cited rising cases of COVID-19 in the area as the primary reason to go back to online learning, according to a statement. The district “fully intends” to return to in-person instruction at all schools by the week of Nov. 2 as long as active case and quarantine numbers are decreasing by then, District Administrator Rick Waski said.

“We are committed to the health and safety of our students and staff and understand that this is a challenge for our families,” Waski said.

Monroe High School moved to online-only for two weeks in September after several staff members and students tested positive for COVID-19. Monroe Middle School also shifted to online starting at the end of September and was going to stay that way until at least Oct. 8 after two students and two staff members tested positive at the time. Both schools also had a number of people in quarantine last month.

As of Thursday afternoon, the district reported four staff members and six students had active cases of COVID-19. Thirteen staff members currently are in quarantine as are 68 students.

Concerned about COVID-19?

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Badger Sports

Breaking News

Crime

Politics