{{featured_button_text}}

A North Side woman using a wood-burning stove became ill and, fearing carbon monoxide poisoning, went to the hospital and called the fire department to check her house.

The incident happened about 4:30 p.m. Thursday at a residence on Bonner Lane, the Madison Fire Department said.

"She started the stove in the basement for the first time this winter," said spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster. "She noticed the smoke wasn't exiting through the flue very well, and was starting to come back into the house."

When she became nauseous and got a headache, she put the fire out and drove herself to the hospital, calling the fire department to meet her at the house.

"Firefighters went through the house with air monitors but didn't detect elevated levels of carbon monoxide," Schuster said.

Because the fire was out for awhile and could have been the cause of her symptoms, the resident was advised not to use the stove until it could be inspected.

Capital W: Plug in to Wisconsin politics

Subscribe to our Politics email!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0