Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Fire in Downtown basement caused by backed-up dryer, authorities say
alert

Fire in Downtown basement caused by backed-up dryer, authorities say

Fire Truck

A fire in a Downtown basement in the early hours of Wednesday was caused by a dryer backed up with lint and debris, authorities said. 

Jun.14 -- Emergency crews are on the scene of a fire at a Chemtool Inc. plant in Rockton, Illinois, WGN TV reports.

Firefighters responded to a smoke-filled basement in an apartment building on the 10 block of East Gilman Street at 2 a.m., Madison Fire Department spokesperson Cynthia Schuster said in a statement.

After searching the basement, firefighters found a dryer with its contents on fire. Once the fire was put out, first responders took the dryer outside and found its exhaust vents filled with lint and debris.

Firefighters also found the apartment buildings alarm system was broken, Schuster said. Authorities contacted the building's management to put it on a fire watch until the alarm system is fixed. 

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Badger Sports

Breaking News

Crime

Politics