We've all been there. You're out on the town with your friends, or maybe you're enjoying some late cocktails with someone special, when the craving hits. You need some food. Now.
Most places in America you can satiate those late-night (or early morning) munchies quickly and cheaply at national fast-food and restaurant chains.
But this isn't most places in America. This is Madison — a city with a restaurant scene that punches well above its weight.
So if you're looking to expand your repertoire of go-to spots, might we suggest these uniquely Madison locations?
We polled the newsroom to make this list of our favorite bars and restaurants that serve food late. By no means is the list exhaustive. In fact, there's a good chance we left your favorite place off the list (if so, email us and we'll consider adding it).
But it's a list born out of personal experiences. These places came through for us when those moments of nocturnal hunger hit. And we expect they could do the same for you.
- 100 State St., 319 N. Frances St.
- Open until 2:30 a.m. every day
- 10 N. Livingston St.
- Open until 1:30 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
Tornado Steak House
- 116 S. Hamilton St.
- Late night menu available from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. daily
Short Stack Eatery
- 301 W. Johnson St.
- Open Thursday and Friday until 12 a.m. and all night Saturday
- 708 1/4 E. Johnson St.
- Late-night menu available until 1 a.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- 414 W Gilman St.
- Open until 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday
- 224 Ohio Ave.
- Food served until midnight every night
- 1305 Regent St.
- Open until midnight Monday through Thursday and until 3 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays
- 301 North St
- Late-night menu available until bar close
- 119 W. Main St.
- Open until 2 a.m. daily
- 244 W Gilman St.
- Open until 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday
- Facebook page
- 211 King St.
- Food menu served until 1 a.m. daily
Pizza di Roma
- 313 State St.
- Open until 3 a.m. every day
Great Dane Pub & Brewing
- Downtown (123 E. Doty Street), Hilldale (357 Price Pl.), East Side (876 Jupiter Dr.), Fitchburg (2980 Cahill Main)
- Late night menu available until bar close
- 316 State St.
- Open until 3 a.m. Thursday through Satuday
Echo Tap & Grill
- 554 W Main St.
- Food service until midnight every night