Jury chosen in trial of man charged with killing 8 people
AP

Jury chosen in trial of man charged with killing 8 people

  • Updated
  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}
Defense attorney: Man accused of killing 8 'just snapped'

FILE - In this March 12, 2018, file photo, Willie Cory Godbolt listens during his arraignment in Brookhaven, Miss. Godbolt is going on trial in the shooting deaths of eight people in Mississippi. Opening arguments are set for Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020 in the case of 37-year-old Willie Cory Godbolt. He has pleaded not guilty to multiple charges, including four counts of capital murder and four counts of murder.

MAGNOLIA, Miss. (AP) — Opening arguments are set for Saturday in the death penalty case of a Mississippi man accused of killing eight people.

Jury selection took five days for the trial of Willie Cory Godbolt.

Investigators said Godbolt went to his in-laws' home in south Mississippi's Lincoln County in May 2017 and argued with his estranged wife and her family over the couple's two children. A deputy was called, and a witness said Godbolt shot and killed the deputy, Godbolt's mother-in-law and two other people. After that, Godbolt shot and killed four other people at two other homes, police said.

Godbolt, now 37, said “I'm sorry” while a reporter was recording him after the shootings.

Jury selection was done in north Mississippi's DeSoto County, 285 miles (459 kilometers) north of Lincoln County, because of pre-trial publicity in the area where the killings took place. The 12 jurors were selected Friday. They will hear the case at a courthouse in Magnolia, which is near Lincoln County.

Godbolt has pleaded not guilty to four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of armed robbery. He has remained in custody since his arrest on May 28, 2017, hours after the shootings. One of his attorneys has said Godbolt is unlikely to use an insanity defense.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

0
0
0
0
0

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

CHICAGO (AP) — Actor Jussie Smollett was indicted Tuesday for a second time on charges of lying to police about a racist and anti-gay attack he allegedly staged on himself in downtown Chicago, renewing a divisive criminal case that drew worldwide attention last year.

Recommended for you by madison.com

Stories and visuals you might like, based on your recent visits.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Badger Sports

Breaking News

Crime

Politics