Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Fire from 'unattended cooking' displaces 14, causes $100,000 in damage, Madison Fire Department says

Fire from 'unattended cooking' displaces 14, causes $100,000 in damage, Madison Fire Department says

Madison Fire Department truck

A fire caused by someone who left the meal they were cooking unattended displaced 14 residents and left $100,000 in damage Saturday evening, the Madison Fire Department said.

Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at a 40-unit apartment complex in the 1,000 block of Moorland Road around 5 p.m., the fire department said. They arrived to find smoke coming from the building.

In an unfortunate event your identity was stolen, here are nine tips to help you recover your identity, according to the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP).

Despite the high potential for victims, there were no injuries, the Fire Department said. Madison firefighters had to evacuate the building.

Thick black smoke filled the hallways of the building, the Fire Department said. Firefighters forced open doors to make sure everyone was evacuated.

Fire crews were able to quickly put out the fire and make sure it didn’t spread, but it still caused $100,000 in damage, the Fire Department said.

The Red Cross is helping nine adults and five children who were displaced because of the damage to the apartment complex.

Several residents told the Fire Department the incident started as a grease fire in a first-floor apartment. The department said the cause of the fire was “unattended cooking.”

Four fire engines, two ladder trucks, two ambulances and the fire chief responded to the fire.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Badger Sports

Breaking News