This gorgeous summer vegetable salad is loaded with produce, including golden beets, avocado, corn, microgreens and radishes. Chickpeas and edamame add substance, and an herb-filled buttermilk-avocado dressing makes this salad really special. Serve it on its own for a light vegetarian meal or add grilled chicken for an easy weeknight dinner.
Big Beautiful Summer Salad
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 small golden beets (10 ounces total), peeled and trimmed
- 2 small ripe avocados (6 ounces each)
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as tarragon, dill, parsley, chives and/or cilantro)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 (15-ounce can) no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup lightly packed microgreens (such as pea shoots)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1 small watermelon radish, halved and thinly sliced on a mandoline (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Wrap beets together in 1 sheet of microwavable parchment paper. Microwave on high until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut each beet into 8 wedges.
2. Meanwhile, cut 1 avocado into 12 wedges. Chop the remaining avocado.
3. Combine herbs, buttermilk, water, garlic, 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender. Puree until smooth, about 10 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Add the chopped avocado; process on medium speed until blended and smooth, about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
4. Arrange romaine on a large platter. Top with chickpeas, microgreens, corn, edamame, radish slices, beet wedges and avocado wedges. Drizzle with oil and the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice; sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spoon the buttermilk dressing over the salad.
Recipe nutrition per serving: 291 Calories, Total Fat: 15 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 1 mg, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Fiber: 10 g, Total Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 10 g, Sodium: 400 mg, Potassium: 919 mg, Iron: 3 mg, Folate: 322 mcg, Calcium: 116 mg, Vitamin A: 6097 IU, Vitamin C: 22 mg.
(EatingWell is a magazine and website devoted to healthy eating as a way of life. Online at www.eatingwell.com.)
In this Series
- 6 updates