The state Department of Justice expects to have completed its efforts to test hundreds of untested sexual assault evidence kits within a year, Attorney General Brad Schimel said this week.
"We feel confident with what we’ve put in place that by this time next year, we’ll have all the kits tested," Schimel said in an interview.
As of Dec. 1, the DOJ identified 6,386 untested kits, 4,030 of which are currently designated for testing. Results were confirmed for 347 kits, with 1,922 that have been tested and are awaiting confirmed results.
The agency launched a website earlier this fall to track its testing progress. About a year ago, it launched a public information campaign designed to help sexual assault survivors track their kits and explore their options for DNA testing.
DOJ had initially contracted with Bode Cellmark Forensics to test the majority of its kits. The lab faced "considerable capacity issues," but is catching up on its obligations, Schimel said. The state has since contracted with two more labs, he said: Sorenson Forensics and the Marshall University Forensic Science Center.